The Sons of Confederate Veterans
Confederate Veteran Genealogy Research:

The Sons of Confederate Veterans established a staff of highly trained and qualified volunteers primarily to assist men wanting to join the SCV. This is a free service but limited, and is not intended to take the place of persons doing their own research. It is intended as assistance to help potential members verify the honorable service of their ancestor and verify their genealogical connection to the qualifying Confederate veteran.

If you already know the name of your Confederate Veteran Ancestor, his approximate age, and where he was from, we will search for record of his service and insure his service was considered to be honorable, i.e. he did not desert or take the Oath of Allegiance to the U.S before the end of the war. It is still important that you are able to prove your genealogical connection to him.

Enter information about your Confederate ancestor, if you already know one, in the field below for a record search (if you know his age and where he was from, include that). Example: "Isaac E. Boyd, Burke County, GA, born 1840, Private, Co. G, 13th GA Infantry."


If you don't know who your Confederate Veteran Ancestor was, we will assist you in researching your lineage. Typically, you will need to know who your ancestors were that were alive in 1930, and for some you may need to know at least as far back as 1880. If you don't have the information needed for the spaces below:

  • Ask older members of your family or get copies of your parents birth record, get copies of your grandparents birth, marriage, and/or death record.
  • Get copies of church, cemetery or old family Bible records.
  • Copies of Public Records can be obtained from your State's Archives. Contact your local Register of Deeds to find out if they have the records you need or if they can direct you to the proper State agency.

Please list all the information that you do know.

*Your Name:
Note: Our Research Service is intended to verify and document the information you provide and to discover the names of your ancestors that you do not know. It is important for you to provide as much information as you can so we can trace your lineage.
My Father's Name:
My Mother's Name:
My Father's father's Name:
Date and place of birth:
When and where did he die:
My Father's mother's Name:
Her date and place of birth:
If deceased, when and where did she die:
My Mother's father's Name:
Date and place of birth:
If deceased, when and where did he die:
My Mother's mother's Name:
Date and place of birth:
If deceased, when and where did she die:
In the box below, list your great grandparents, if known, starting with your Father's father's parents then your Father's mother's parents and continue with your Mother's father's parents and then Mother's mother's parents. Don't forget to list dates and places of Birth, marriage, death etc if known. Add your great, great grandparents if known.
There is no guarantee that you have, or that we can locate, a Confederate Veteran in your family lineage. Note: Most local camps of the SCV also offer research services.

Copies of original military service records are available from (and not included in our Research Service): your State's Archives, the National Archives and Records Administration, or from Broadfoot.

This is a captcha-picture. It is used to prevent mass-access by robots. (see:

You must read and type the 5 chars within 0 to 9 and A to F, and submit the form.



Sons of Confederate Veterans
P.O. Box 59
Columbia, TN 38402
Main | About | Join | Directories | Contact | Store | Legal | Privacy